Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sangkaya Sunday!

I love to chill on Sunday. :)

I'm happy to say that i managed to get quite a lot of things done today.

Lemme see....besides having spring cleaned my room, i managed to try out this recipe for my fave Thai dessert - Sangkaya.

For those of you who're not familiar, sangkaya is in actual fact coconut egg custard.


My sunday sweet ;)
Mum and dad like the sangkaya too.




I saved so much. The ones selling here cost RM3.6 per piece. We can practically eat our hearts out. :P



I've googled around for a few recipes and I came up with my own.


~*~*~*Sangkaya recipe*~*~*~

Ingredients
1 cup coconut cream - i used reduced fat coconut milk
3/4 to 1 cup gula melaka (palm sugar)
5 eggs
1 pandan leave
1 small pumpkin (about 6 inches in diameter and 5 inches in height)


Method

1) Slice off the top of the pumpkin. Remove the seeds and most of the pulp.
2) Cut the pandan leave into small pieces, put into blender with about half cup water, blend well. Then squeeze blended pandan leaves and strain pandan juice through a sieve cloth.
3) Heat the coconut milk and palm sugar in a pot just enough to dissolve the sugar, creating a smooth mixture. Allow to cool to room temperature.
4) Beat the eggs. Mix with the cooled, sweetened coconut cream.
5) Add 3 tablespoons of pandan leave juice.
6) Strain mixture through a sieve cloth. Spoon out any bubbles that may have formed over the top.
7) Pour mixture into the hollowed out pumpkin. Steam over medium heat until custard is set. This will take approximately 1 hour, depending on the size and thickeness of the pumpkin. Let cool.
8) Slice the pumpkin into wedges as you would a cake. Store the rest in the fridge.

Bon appetit!
=)

1 comment:

petrina said...

oh wow its in a pumpkin! I've never had sangkaya before- does it taste anything like kaya?