Monday, June 08, 2009

Saree shopping

Last weekend was pretty eventful.

Sue-Ann and I went with Alice and Suren to Klang to shop for our sarees. Yups, Alice and Suren will be tying the knot this November and we'll be Alice's bridal entourage (MIA - Christine and Reena). Christine and Reena could not make it at the last minute, if not I'm sure it'll be even more fun.

Alice's theme is pink. Easy for me as i lup pink colour :p but not for Sue-Ann as she's never owned anything wearable in pink before.

We have determined that we wanted chiffon material (so that got silk and other materials outta the way, which was a great relief). The deal was we could either go for the same shade of pink in the same design, or same shade of pink in different designs, or go for different shades of pink in the same design. 

I never thought choosing a saree can be so challenging.

For one, the colour which suited me didn't suit Sue-Ann's complexion. So, the obvious solution was to choose a colour which matches each of our skin tone.




This is the very first saree I chose. The colour actually looked heaps better and it looked amazing on me (Ok, excuse that retarded expression i had).

I love love the embroidery design on the saree. And the colour..it was the only piece with this exact pink.






The price is also very 'beautiful' actually..it costs RM983 before we started bargaining.

After bargaining with the boss (Suren's mum knows the guy), it went down to RM355. Which was out of our budget).




I think this piece is RM8xx before discount. But the girls reckoned the colour of the 1st saree looked nicer on me.




Sue-Ann went for a lighter shade of pink. But somehow this colour didn't 'wow' us. We suggested a sweeter, lighter pink.





This one is a lil too plain, the design was very bare.





I searched high and low at another range (which costs around RM3xx) for the same shade of pink as the first one..but to no avail. 

This one I'm draping on came close...and I love the design. And Sue finally found a shade which she likes. 

So ta-dah! Presenting our sarees.

Each costs around RM383 before discount. After much haggling, we got it down to RM120 each. 

Btw, my saree was very roughly tied, the foldings were actually falling off cos i was actually moving about a bit.




Next, we went hunting for matching accessories.

Now, the only thing that's left is to find a good tailor to make our saree blouses.

While walking along the street, I found 2 saree blouse designs i quite fancy.






We had lunch closed to 3pm. 

Suren brought us to a decent banana leaf eatery. Mmmm..

Look, it's served in real banana leaf, not those plastic-ky banana leaf plate you get in PJ.



Thanks to the couple for bringing us to Klang. :)



All in, the outing was pretty short as I had to rush home by 5pm to prepare myself for Nuffnang and Tiger's Standout partay!

There's definitely gonna be part 2 for our saree shopping as we'll be going with Christine again..

Here's a sneak preview of what happened ;)


I was shortlisted to go on stage for the 'Standout Queen' title. Yups, the guy in the orange hawaiian nightie is Kenny Sia aka Susan Boyle. He was nominated for the 'Standout King' title.




All 6 nominees with Jojo Struys and Liang our hosts for the night.


I need to grab the pix of others as I didn't take any piccies that night.

So, stay tuned to find out who won. :)

1 comment:

salwar kameez said...

Is choosing a saree is so difficult?