Friday, November 02, 2007

Something borrowed...

Currently reading





Yes I have to confess that i love reading chick lits. There's nothing more relaxing than to chill with a glass of red wine, lounging on the sofa with a good book.

I borrowed some books from Elinna when I went over to her place the other day. I was going through her book shelf when she introduced me to Emily Giffin.

I have to say that "I was gripped from that day onwards...the book was just too difficult to put down"...


Advance Excerpt fromSomething Borrowed
By Emily Giffin(St. Martin's Press, 2004)


I was in the fifth grade the first time I thought about turning thirty. My best friend Darcy and I came across a perpetual calendar in the back of the phone book, where you could look up any date in the future, and by using this little grid, determine what the day of the week would be. So we located our birthdays in the following year, mine in May and hers in September. I got Wednesday, a school night. She got a Friday. A small victory, but typical. Darcy was always the lucky one. Her skin tanned more quickly, her hair feathered more easily, and she didn't need braces. Her moonwalk was superior, as were her cart-wheels and her front handsprings (I couldn't do a handspring at all). She had a better sticker collection. More Michael Jackson pins. Forenza sweaters in turquoise, red,and peach (my mother allowed me none-said they were too trendy and expensive). And a pair of fifty-dollar Guess jeans with zippers at the ankles (ditto). Darcy had double-pierced ears and a sibling-even if it was just a brother, it was better than being an only child as I was.



But at least I was a few months older and she would never quite catch up. That's when I decided to check out my thirtieth birthday-in a year so far away that it sounded like science fiction. It fell on a Sunday, which meant that my dashing husband and I would secure a responsible baby-sitter for our two (possibly three) children on that Saturday evening, dine at a fancy French restaurant with cloth napkins, and stay out past midnight, so technically we would be celebrating on my actual birthday. I would have just won a big case-somehow proven that an innocent man didn't do it. And my husband would toast me: "To Rachel, my beautiful wife, the mother of my children and the finest lawyer in Indy." I shared my fantasy with Darcy as we discovered that her thirtieth birthday fell on a Monday. Bummer for her. I watched her purse her lips as she processed this information.


"You know, Rachel, who cares what day of the week we turn thirty?" she said, shrugging a smooth, olive shoulder. "We'll be old by then. Birthdays don't matter when you get that old."
I thought of my parents, who were in their thirties, and their lackluster approach to their own birthdays. My dad had just given my mom a toaster for her birthday because ours broke the week before. The new one toasted four slices at a time instead of just two. It wasn't much of a gift. But my mom had seemed pleased enough with her new appliance; nowhere did I detect the disappointment that I felt when my Christmas stash didn't quite meet expectations. So Darcy was probably right. Fun stuff like birthdays wouldn't matter as much by the time we reached thirty.



The next time I really thought about being thirty was our senior year in high school, when Darcy and I started watching the show Thirtysomethingtogether. It wasn't one of our favorites-we preferred cheerful sit-coms like Who's the Boss? and Growing Pains-but we watched it anyway. My big problem with Thirtysomething was the whiny characters and their depressing issues that they seemed to bring upon themselves. I remember thinking that they should grow up, suck it up. Stop pondering the mean-ing of life and start making grocery lists. That was back when I thought my teenage years were dragging and my twenties would surely last for-ever.
Then I reached my twenties. And the early twenties did seem to last forever. When I heard acquaintances a few years older lament the end of their youth, I felt smug, not yet in the danger zone myself. I had plenty of time. Until about age twenty-seven when the days of being carded were long gone and I began to marvel at the sudden acceleration of years (reminding myself of my mother's annual monologue as she pulled out our Christmas decorations) and the accompanying lines and stray gray hairs. At twenty-nine the real dread set in, and I realized that in a lot of ways I might as well be thirty. But not quite. Because I could still say that I was in my twenties. I still had something in common with college seniors.



I realize thirty is just a number, that you're only as old as you feel and all of that. I also realize that in the grand scheme of things, thirty is still young. But it's not that young. It is past the most ripe, prime child-bearing years, for example. It is too old to, say, start training for an Olympic medal. Even in the best die-of-old-age scenario, you are still about one-third of the way to the finish line. So I can't help feeling uneasy as I perch on an overstuffed maroon couch in a dark lounge on the Upper West Side at my surprise birthday party, organized by Darcy, who is still my best friend.



Tomorrow is the Sunday that I first contemplated as a fifth-grader playing with our phone book. After tonight my twenties will be over, a chapter closed forever. The feeling I have reminds me of New Year's Eve, when the countdown is coming and I'm not quite sure whether to grab my camera or just live in the moment. Usually I grab the camera and later regret it when the picture doesn't turn out. Then I feel enormously let down and think to myself that the night would have been more fun if it didn't mean quite so much, if I weren't forced to analyze where I've been and where I'm going.



Like New Year's Eve, tonight is an ending and a beginning. I don't like endings and beginnings. I would always prefer to churn about in the middle. The worst thing about this particular end (of my youth) and beginning (of middle age) is that for the first time in my life, I realize that I don't know where I'm going. My wants are simple: a job that I like and a guy whom I love. And on the eve of my thirtieth, I must face that I am 0 for 2.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've read this book too. a very good read indeed. have u read her "something blue" yet? it's even better

Anonymous said...

oh, i love books like this. i cant wait to read this one! chick lits rule!

Unknown said...

louis vuitton outlet, replica watches, longchamp outlet, kate spade outlet, prada outlet, longchamp pas cher, tory burch outlet, nike free, replica watches, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin shoes, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, sac longchamp, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, louis vuitton, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton, burberry, louboutin outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, air jordan pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin outlet, jordan shoes, nike air max, gucci outlet, tiffany and co, cheap oakley sunglasses, air max, louboutin, nike roshe run, prada handbags, uggs on sale, chanel handbags, longchamp

Unknown said...

reebok shoes, abercrombie and fitch, iphone cases, babyliss, valentino shoes, celine handbags, north face outlet, nike roshe, hollister, nike trainers, nike huarache, converse, timberland boots, ferragamo shoes, soccer jerseys, lululemon, soccer shoes, vans shoes, hollister, ralph lauren, chi flat iron, louboutin, converse outlet, nike air max, ghd, gucci, lancel, insanity workout, oakley, birkin bag, vans, beats by dre, wedding dresses, jimmy choo shoes, nike air max, mcm handbags, ray ban, herve leger, asics running shoes, bottega veneta, hollister, nfl jerseys, longchamp, new balance, mont blanc, instyler, p90x workout, north face outlet, baseball bats, mac cosmetics, nike roshe