Thursday, March 06, 2008

My first ao dai :)

You know how i have this fetish for traditional costumes right? You don't?!
Nevermind. :P

My current collection boasts 3 sarees, 3 cheongsams, 1 nyonya kebaya, and 1 new aodai. :)
I'm hoping to make a Thai one soon.


I had a really good start yesterday when my student, Giang came over to pass me my newly made ao dai from Vietnam. (I've been anticipating her return forever, i tell ya)




Remember I was telling you about my relentless search for the perfect aodai? Click here to read that post.

That was in December.


After almost a good 3 months' wait for Giang to return from her summer hols, I finally received my aodai. And it was worth the wait. :)

I had no idea how it'd turned out as I've only given her my measurements via email and I've given her the liberty to choose the material and embroidery design for me. My initial colour preference was for a very light shade of pink. But it turned out that the material for the colour I wanted wasn't too good.

So Giang chose a sweet lilac shade for me.




I couldn't wait to go home and try the ao dai (too troublesome and inconvenient to try at work la).







Look at the embroidery. Every one of the flowers was hand drawn and then sewn on. They even added sparkly drops(silver dusts). I think it's very pretty.






There's even embroidery at the back, by the slit. Very minimal, just right!



Side view

It'd look better if i had my heels on. Ignore the expression, I was too tired after a long day at work.

Mum and I were pretty amazed that it fits so well. The tailor did a really good job.






I can't wait to don on pretty make-up and wear this.
When's the next occassion for me to wear traditional costumes?




Flowers in the right places. So sweet.


Thank you so much Giang dearie. I love this beautiful ao dai you designed for me. :)



XOXO!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh..i love your aodai dear! such a sweet one. it looks like something u would have.

so glad it's such a good fit. looks very good on you. you look very sweet in it.

Anonymous said...

so pretty..I want one too!!

it suits you very much. :)

Anonymous said...

ha, I will try out my thought, your post get me some good ideas, it's really amazing, thanks.

- Norman