Sunday, March 02, 2008

Shuk's wedding - Dinner reception

.......continuation from the previous post





For those of you wondering if I was late for my rehearsal.
Well, the answer is yes. I was slightly late for my 6pm briefing.

By the time I got changed and made up, and rushed to the foyer it was 6:10pm.

To our utter disappointment, the place was deserted except for the hotel staff who were being briefed. And the jazz band doing their sound checking.

Chong Sern, Mich and I were like, "Where the hell are the wedding planners? I thought they said we have to be here at 6pm!!". (CS and I had to be briefed on our emcee flow, whereas Mich had to be brief on the registration process).

So I called up one of them, and she said, "Oh, we're still upstairs, grabbing a bite".
WTF?

Well, these wedding planners are probably the most relaxed bunch.
Not on time, not even apologetic.


And, they didn't really do much. Really.


They've only sent Shuk the programme itinerary like a week before the wedding. And that's when I could start working on my emcee script.

Heck, we even forwarded a copy of the emcee script to the planners. BUT did they read?
I don't think so.


Why? Cos during the briefing, CS and I were given a totally different brief. There were quite a lot of changes on the sequence of things and names of certain important ppl.

And we were running out of space to write the amendments on our script. I tell ya, it was messy and we were not happy with the fact that she/they did not bother to do their homework earlier, i.e., going through our scripts, looking into finer details.

If she did, she would have reverted to us, informing us the changes and telling us what to add/remove.

Our add-on notes were written everywhere, and we had to rehearse all over again a few times just in case we missed some bits here and there.

CS and I were unimpressed with them. So bloody unprofessional.

In case you wanna know, please ban "I do wedding". All these hypes that say they're good, well they're most likely fake or falsely spread by the owners themselves.

Why do we say they're no good?
Cos towards the end, it was CS and I who had to prompt them that it was time for us to do our closing to conclude the night. Why? Cos ppl were starting to leave and desserts were already out.

Imagine this..they were both busy chatting away in their lil corner when we approached them. They had to ask us what we're doing. We explained that it's time to wrap up since ppl are leaving.

Their reaction? "Oh". Classic huh?

Tell me..What kind of wedding planners are so damn bloody observant?

Okay enough ranting (sorry have to get these outta my system. Also, I didn't want any unsuspecting newly weds to fall prey into their traps).


Rehearsal




I had the luxury of taking these when the ballroom was almost empty (except for the hotel staff and jazz band)


The ballroom was beautifully decorated with flowers everywhere. Just for your information, Shuk and HY spent about RM11k just on the flowers alone.

And those balls (lighting) you see on the stage? Well, together with the flowers, they spent RM20k on the decoration.







And since the newly weds didn't get to fully appreciate the flowers and decor as they were so pre-occupied, I'm posting these pictures up (special request by the bride).

Isn't the flower arrangement on the newly weds' main table simply gorgeous?









Flowers on the main table

I simply adore the crystal drops on this arrangement. Very very pretty.









Basically, they ordered different flowers for different tables. It added such an elegant touch to the evening.








The flowers were done by Wishing Tree.







I'm sure you'll agree that the RM11k was well spent.







CS and I did not manage to do a run using the mics cos the band was doing their sound checking. We only had time for a short minute of sound checking.









We had no where to go to practice our lines. Therefore, we took the liberty to practice at our table. And some guests were looking at us like we're some kind of weirdos.









Nervous? Kind of. :P









We had enough of practising. So we left the ballroom to catch a breather.

I went out to check with Mich to see if my parents have arrived. Didn't want them to miss seeing their daughter in action. So kiasu hor? :P

Another story:
The wedding planner refused to brief Mich what she's supposed to do as Head of Reception. Mich left to see Shuk after she realised that the wedding planners were having a bite. By the time she returned, the wedding planners were done briefing the others so she refused to brief Mich. What a bitch!










My parents arrived slightly before the event started. I was so glad.









Dad and mum with dad's friend. According to Shuk, her dad has arranged for my dad to sit with his bunch of "hunting friends". Shuk's dad and my dad are golf and hunting kakis. They've got the same gang of buddies.

This aunty was so nice. She kept on complimenting me on my voice (very sweet) and that I should be emcee-ing professionally. She even suggested CNN and the likes. LOL!

Yeah, mum and dad were especially proud. They said I did a great job. :)










I missed this part as I was already in the ballroom, standing by. Shuk had San and Ching to help her.








Ready to make the grand entrance?









CS and I announcing the arrival of the newly weds.











Here comes the bride...










No idea what I was doing then. I think I was getting ready to step off stage to watch the show reel.







We were allocated very good seats to ease CS and I going to and fro the stage.

Standing: Nicole, me, Eve.
Seated: Joni (Shuk's high school friend from HK), Mich, San, Ching.









Another good look at the beautiful stage.








Aida and her band did a good job. I was thoroughly entertained.







Us girls with the bride











More camwhoring before CS and I had to go on stage again...














Since we can't show you the pictures of the torturing bits (yet). I'll show you a picture of the showreel of the morning reception.

If you look carefully, you'll find me negotiating with HS on the angpow money.










Shuk's parents with Mich, Joni and Evelyn.











Toasting to a job well done! Also, we're almost 2/3 done with our emcee-ing. We could finally eat. WooHooo








The wine working its magic on me. teeheehee









No idea what we were doing. Probably waiting as something was wrong with one of the mics.







I was giving an intro about Shuk's dad and announcing for the father of the bride to come up and give a speech I think.






"Uncle David the stage is all yours!"






Champagne pouring...
Time for the toasting ceremony!!!







Both the fathers were shouting "yam seng"






"Yam yam yam...yam seng!!"






I read my toastmaster's script in English, whereas CS translated mine and spoke in Mandarin. And we both had to shout yam seng together with the fathers.

Now, this yam seng shouting part is the part I'm always quite shy about.

You know how ppl who shout yam seng always pull their breath very very long right? Quite funny actually.



Thank God I've got my yoga techniques man!










The newly weds giving their personalised, thank you speeches.






Ivy, Michelle, Me and Cindy






May and Tyrone.

This lovely couple came all the way from Melby Sydney and they've been so great. In fact, most of the pictures here were taken by Tyrone as I was busy emcee-ing. Thanks dude!

What's more? I just got to know that they'll be tying the knot pretty soon. Congrats guys! Muahh







Shuk's Aunt Esther congratulating CS and I on a job well done. :)









Took these flowers as they were left on the table. As we were leaving, we saw many ladies taking the flower arrangements out of the ballroom.

Forced CS to take this picture for me. LOL :P








More silly pictures.

Me wishing for something...








We also wanted to take back some flowers just to make the RM11k worthwhile. Stretching every single ringgit. LOL!

San looking for some flowers for us.








She found me this (yeah, I was pretty much immobile cos of the long train of my dress).








Pretty girls with pretty flowers. :P








Later we were told by the wedding planner that we can't take these ones as the vases/pots were rented. We could take those without the vase/pot.







So i took this home instead. :)







Shuk wasn't too pleased with the wedding planner's timing on the gown changing. By the time she changed into this stunning blue gown, most of the guests have already left. Also, the gap between each change was not proportionate.

According to HY, she should have changed out of the white gown much earlier. That way, she would have more time to spend with family, friends and colleagues.






Me and CS feeling glad that everything went smoothly. :)







Saying goodbye to the bride. According to her, the groom's already wiped out. LOL!






Shuk with May and Tyrone.

Take a good look at the gown, isn't it gorgeous? This gown is by Keith Kee.





After event

Us girls chilling with Darren (Shuk's bro) and CS (photographer) in the hotel room before heading home.




After changing out of my gown, we dropped Joni off at Trader's Hotel before heading straight for supper. I was telling the girls (San, Mich, Ching) that we'd have to go for supper at the very beginning of the reception as I didn't have the appetite to eat anything.

Went to Devi's in Bangsar, and boy did I whack a lot of food or what?!

So much for dieting.

11 comments:

majormojo said...

Hello dear, great great job. I love the fact that you took so much pictures, it's as if we're reliving her wedding. It's so fantastic to be able to read an account of the day.. makes me feel like blogging it too.. I think I will...for posterity sake.

Also, I love your pictures. Esp the one with us and flowers... contrary to the other pictures available I don't look too fat! haha..

majormojo said...

it's me san by the way.

Carrie McGorgeous said...

San!! Thanks for posting a comment here! Yes, you let me know once u've blogged about it ya.

No no..u didn't look fat at all! Ooh, talking about that pix, look at "the cleavage"..Oohlala!

CoMMuniCate WiThMe said...

A quick run down of things happened during that evening... a meaningful evening actually :)
And you are right, I was not impressed with the planners, and I thought I was too friendly to them.

CoMMuniCate WiThMe said...

Hello Sook San.
How are u doing lately?

Carrie McGorgeous said...

Yes Chong Sern, you and I were just too kind to them lazy-buggers wedding planners.

Just to set the record straight ppl, we were nice to them (even though we have to grit our teeth and smile) becos we "pei min" the bride and groom.

Anonymous said...

now i have in evidence who took em vases.....

hey chong sern thanks for the great job and your help!

Carrie McGorgeous said...

eh, definitely not me okay? The one i took had no vase/pot whatsoever. :P

Carrie McGorgeous said...

eh, definitely not me okay? The one i took had no vase/pot whatsoever. :P

Anonymous said...

Hi!

It's May here by the way. How cool to re-live the whole wedding process through your blog. Everyone looking beautiful, especially the bride of course hehe.

Oh yah, thought I should mention that we are from Sydney, not Melb : ) I hear you used to live in Sydney..which part?

I have to send you the link of the pics when I have the chance to post them up. There are sooo many from our trip. Will get back to you asap - especially of the boys munching on HY's grapes. LOL !!!

Was lovely to meet you and the rest of the gals! Shame we didn't get to hang out more. Next time!

Carrie McGorgeous said...

Hi May!!!

How are you? So glad to know that you're now back in good ol Sydney.

I'm so blur to confuse you Melby and Sydney. hehe..forgive me ya.

I used to live in Chinatown. The peak apartment, right on top of Market City. Oh, how i miss those long walks along Darling Harbour.

So, how was your Bkk trip? Did you get to shop shop and shop? ehehe..

Anyways babe, if you're on facebook, add me okay?

P/s: can't wait for you to upload those piccies gal! :)

*hugs*